Saturday, October 31, 2009

A game made for EGP's October 2009 theme "Numbers"

"Numbers" were great theme in October on EGP site! I did not want to end up doing a game like Sudoku, where numbers themselves or arithmetic operations would be the core of the gameplay. So I made this:

Be Brave Today!

(download Be Brave here)

Real Time Strategy genre, yet very simple and quick gameplay.
You control the King of Blue Soldiers. Ugly Red Enemies have captured many of your fellow soldiers, so you go to rescue them (those medieval times were great, you know, lots of battles, feasts and beer). Just like in any RTS, when two units meet, they fight. Numbers take the stage now: each unit has certain amount of BRAVERY. When two units fight, the one with higher bravery always win. Kind of like: the higher the bravery, the stronger sword swings.
The king is not only the "commanding unit", giving orders to direct his soldiers during fights, he can also transfer BRAVERY to his soldiers. As only his bravery regenerates over the time (soldiers' bravery does not), he is the carrier of a unique resource. If you do not completely understand, just play it :)
Two days before finishing this game I got an idea - I should have played Overlord before I created this game. Maybe it's the same mechanics (damn, it seems I was the second one to have an interesting idea). Right after I upload my game here, I am going to buy Overlord as I never played it before. It's a great game anyway :)

You are welcome to comment on Be Brave. That is the point of Experimental Gameplay - to see if the people will find the game interesting. Have fun :)

(download Be Brave here)


  1. Runtime error
    "Construct encountered an error in the display engine. Please report this problem to the application developer.
    Cannot set a multisampled rendertarget as texture (0x80004005)" I did :)

  2. Well, I used Construct to create this game - it's open source game maker, thus it is a bit unstable, but these crashes are very seldom. Usually restarting the game helps in case of this specific Runtime Error. As it occurs totally randomly, I'm unable to do a workaround for this one. I'm sorry for the bug anyway...